Noobs & Kooks Unite! (Island View?)

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

Noobs & Kooks Unite! (Island View?)

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

July 26th: Downwinders @ Gordon's, or Gordons/Renfrew Fri/Sat/Sun? See my post !
I'm pretty new to the sport (did my lessons with Elevation in Aug) and have the gear now.
Just looking for other newbies to buddy up with for coordinating Island View sessions (I know lots of the times there's peeps out there, but it hasnt been uncommon for them to be packing it in as I'm getting there or vice-versa).
If anyone is looking for people to meet up with (and do the walk of shame with :p) I figured we could co-ordinate a little bit.
(I'm only really available Saturdays & Sundays except in exam period)
Last edited by SmallWaveSteve on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Vik

Post by Vik »

I'm an advanced kook. I always seem to get diverted from KBing on windy winter days to other activities like MTBing... :oops: It would be good to make some plans so I get my butt out the door and to a beach.

I'll be down in Baja from 18 Dec - 15 Jan, but other than that I'll be around Victoria.... :lol:
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Wooderson

Post by Wooderson »

Hey steveo, it would be great to have some company on those walks of shame. I live in Nanaimo but will be back in Victoria over xmas/ny. Let's try and meet up for some Kiting.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Hello Steve and fellow kite kooks

I'm at about the same point ... lessons in summer, got the gear, now need to get more water time. Would be stoked to connect up with others, more safety in numbers.

I live near Gordon's -- Island View's a trek, but I hope to get there this winter. My timing is a bit screwy though, depending on work and family. Tends to be I can sneak away at short notice, which doesn't help for connecting up.

Maybe let's use this thread to coordinate? Post if you're thinking of going? I'd suggest a secret handshake, so we'll know who each other is at the beach...but I suspect the helmets, pfd's, and general kookiness will be a dead giveaway. ;-)

John
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

^That's partly what I was planning to do with this thread :)
I'll be the one in the black wetsuit @ Island View :p

I wasn't expecting many responses so quick, but I figured there may be a few others in my situation skulking about on the forum

You can spot me with:
Red Neil Pryde impact vest
White lid
Black & white 10m North Rebel
White & orange 7m Cabrinha Convert
A stunning smile and piercing blue eyes (if there are any ladies looking for kite buddies [smilie=pimp.gif] )
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Stevo911, I am not sure if you noticed, but there are line extensions for your Convert in the front pouch. Use them if you find the 7M a bit underpowered. These will make a ton of difference.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

@Kayakdoc, thanks for the heads up, Christina did mention them when I picked it up

@the new folk, depending on how things look tomorrow AM or afternoon, I may be hitting up IV or Willows with a couple of people (probably IV).
I've got a leg injury though, so depending on how she goes, this might be your big chance for me to be your personal kite jockey (catching/launching and taking pics in between)
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

re: Willows Beach, it is straight onshore there with low power lines waiting to catch your kite if one thing goes wrong. Island View is a much safer choice IMO.
Vik

Post by Vik »

I'll be at IV Monday between 9-10am if the windcam looks good as the forecast. Grey Ford F150 with white cap.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

gordons?

Post by juandesooka »

Noobs/kooks: might be a nice big kite day at Gordons this afternoon. Calling maximum 15kts. Tide in the afternoon is 7ft, but I think still low enough that Tugwell launch should be an option.

More people there means more chance of someone to launch. And maybe some company on the long, long walk of shame from east Gordons Beach.
Peter Dee

Post by Peter Dee »

OK .. heading to Gordons .. just left Cook St - not enough wind there ..
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Only 9 gusting 11 now ... will it fill in or is it a bust?
Peter Dee

Post by Peter Dee »

Just came back from Gordons Beach .. unfortunately not enough wind to get my 11m going ..
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I tried with 12m.....got up a couple times, then crashed and couldn't relaunch....1 minute riding, hour or so dealing with gear, aye-yah (thanks to Rocdoc for the help)
Peter Dee

Post by Peter Dee »

Same here :) .. took me a white to rig a kite and get inside of my wetsuit ..

Question: .... I was on Gordons Beach but was only able to get to the beach form the spot around 1km east from the points marked as a launch point. I couldnt find access to the beach closer to the creek as there are only private properties. Can someone explain me how I suppose to get there next time? I have seen one property with kite board on the tree but marked as private.

Thanks,
Piotr