Lib Tech Surfboards

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Vik

Lib Tech Surfboards

Post by Vik »

The new Lib Tech surfboard line sounds like it holds some promise for kiting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cND5EVoL ... r_embedded
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
JL

Post by JL »

That Guy's amusing & recycling 8)
Thermals are good.
KC7777

Lib Tech

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

Don't know about their surfboards, but skiing Mt. Baker 40+ days this year you see a ton of Lib Tech snowboards and Lib Tech NAS's at Baker. LibTech doesn't call them skis....they call their skis.... Narrow Ass Snowboards = NAS's.

Each NAS (ski) costs you approx. $600 but you get the second NAS for free. Great marketing for skis.

The NAS's (skis) have something called magne-traction (google "magne traction NAS") which is a a steak knife like serrated edge all the way down the edge of the ski. Turns ice into powder. It works, they rip.

I now own two pair.

Check this out.....I met this Tory Bland guy at Baker in the lodge at lunch....dood!

http://www.lib-tech.com/2011/11/17/tory ... -pipe-nas/

Good company.
Vik

Post by Vik »

I've mostly given up on snow sports, but I had my eye on a Lib Tech Magna traction snowboard. I've heard lots of good things about them... :D
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

the skis and boards are cool but I am not totally sold on them. They are harder to tune due to the magna traction but they do give great edge hold because of it. Lib tech/ Gnu also don't finish their boards or skis to the same quality as other manufacturers, they all come with a belt tune as opposed to stone grind on the bases. I am not sure why they don't stone grind their stuff when it comes off the assembly line but I suspect it has something to do with the cost of the machine to do it. Many snowboarders don't need that type of base prep but it has been the standard in quality skis for many years. I work for a shop that sells lib and gnu, can't keep the boards on the floor, sell, sell, sell, they sell them selves.
KC7777

Lib NAS

Post by KC7777 »

Ya,

But I don't think you have to tune your edges as much with the magne traction....you just don't care if they are sharp?

The finish on my Lib NAS bases seems fine....any shop could fix it if it is rough from the factory.

And it is so funny when people on the chair look down, see the wavy edge on your skis and go "WTF"

K
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Cant wait to see you shredding the pipe Keith.
I wish my TOW was longer!
KC7777

Libs

Post by KC7777 »

I actually have the powder version of the ski.....not the pipe version. The first pair you see hucking off the cliff in the pow.

Tory Bland sounds the exact same in person. Hilarious.
Last edited by KC7777 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vik

Post by Vik »

I'll be interested to read the reviews on their surfboards once they are in the wild for a few months. I like the environmental aspect and the fact they sound pretty tough without costing a fortune. Could be a good option for use with a kite.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
GregK

Post by GregK »

Very interesting and appealing to me, really like the idea of increased durability, a closed cell hydrophobic core, softer flex, light weight, reasonable cost ...

Shapes seem a little bigger in the tail than most kite-surfboards, may be a little bouncy in the wind-chop. Also would like to see their rocker curves ...

The Boardroom - http://boardroomshop.com/Surf/Surfboards/ in Vancouver is stocking them, will have to check them out next time I'm there.
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
Vik

Post by Vik »

This shape is pretty similar to the kite surfboard I'm riding at the moment:

http://boardroomshop.com/Surf/Surfboard ... 23N102504/
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com