Getting outside of the breakers

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
bamfieldave

Getting outside of the breakers

Post by bamfieldave »

Hey all, looking for some tips on wave sailing. I am a bit slow at getting into the foot straps, which is causing some problems while trying to get outside of the breakers. I keep jumping foam piles before I can get in the straps and then crash just inside. Any tips or suggestions on how to reduce the carnage would be cool
Dave
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

The biggest favor you can do yourself is time the lulls before you head out. That way at least you are figuring it out on the least amount of white water as possible.

Second to that, head downwind for some speed then stomp the tail of the boat just prior to the white water, to pop up over it. Often you'll get rounded up wind a bit by the wave, so you'll quickly have to get your weight forward and open up the sail right after you pop over.

Ultimately though, it's just practice that is going to get you through it.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I found the applicable sections of this guide useful for learning to sail in real surf:
Oregon Coast Windsurfing Guide 2009
MartyD

Post by MartyD »

Get a kite. No problem getting outside even in huge waves. If it is too big then just jump it :twisted:
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

It's all about when to go through or over the wave. When you decide to stop bearing off and going for it wait for the white water after the peak has gone by. Or you can get over before the peak but that can be dicey. There really is only one very dangerous spot, the peak (and the barrel just after), where the wave packs tons of punch. Turn and bear off and ride the wave or whitewater if you are not going to make it.
curses - foiled again!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Getting outside of the breakers

Post by KUS »

bamfieldave wrote:problems while trying to get outside of the breakers
where would these "breakers" be?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
BigD
Website Donor
Website Donor

waves

Post by BigD »

Get this DVD:

Chapter 1 is called " Getting out. He suggests only putting your back foot in the strap and keeping the front one out.

http://www.wavesailingsecrets.com/preview.cfm
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

judging by the name Bamfield Dave - I'd bet the breakers are in Tofino.
curses - foiled again!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Getting outside of the breakers

Post by more force 4 »

KUS wrote:
bamfieldave wrote:problems while trying to get outside of the breakers
where would these "breakers" be?
I think someone with "Bamfield" in their BWD name has quite a choice of breakers. Now breakers with wind might be harder to come by....

Dave are you keeping your legs really supple when you hit the whitewater? I found thinking about a deep knee bend helped to pop over (of course my aging body needs more reaction time :roll: :wink: )
bamfieldave

Post by bamfieldave »

Hey,
Sailing at pachena bay, bamfield. South winds rip into the bay but are always right onshore ( when it happens, not regular. Don't load up the car). So I am trying to go up wind to get out. It's really fun outside, when I make it but I am getting beat up most of the time
bamfieldave

Post by bamfieldave »

Thanks for the links BigD. I am all over the back foot first thing. Will give that a go in the next storm.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Directly onshore can be tough with a short period esp. Not sure about the back foot thing or how that would help, tough to keep the board straight and level.....thinking if you are underpowered this would be difficult....but it sounds like you have sufficient wind so don't jump off the top but slow the board so you don't go flying! You should be able to land/ride down into white water without feet in straps if you do this, bear off, gain speed and put feet in....I always have my front foot in, back out to absorb/balance when light. You are a beginner lake sailor....Are your straps wave positioned?? cuz if they are outboard instead of board centered you will have all kinds of problems getting into them in waves....as in....NEVER.

Bearing off gives you more speed as well as time between waves to get that second foot in.

Timing of sets, practice practice practice of riding up and over, absorbing the lip impact and getting ready to be leaning forward once over the lip sounds like a good plan. Sometimes when really bad on a longer shallow beach you can perhaps walk the rig past the break or body drag thru it.....like at Willows on a bigger day...once past the break water start away
Last edited by KUS on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

bamfieldave

Post by bamfieldave »

Hmm, foot straps are in an outboard position. Crap, there are no inboard Options unless I start drilling new holes?!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

bamfieldave wrote:Hmm, foot straps are in an outboard position. Crap, there are no inboard Options unless I start drilling new holes?!
you have your answer, it's not ....necessarily..... you. Wave board time or drill/epoxy in another set of inserts. Chances are your board shape tho sucks too for this type of condition. Ocean vs Lake different world
Wish less, sail more!!

bamfieldave

Post by bamfieldave »

Thanks KUS I think your right, I am going to add some new inserts and start looking for a wave board.