2015 Nitinaht Lake Fees and Politics

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
skipro

Post by skipro »

Has there been any discussion about extending the campground? adding a second loop out towards the river? Partially using the river trail?

If there is a serious movement to collect fees, could there be an initiative to lay in a road and add some pads. I'm sure the kiting community, who have graciously chosen to head west from the campsite to camp would like easier access. (maybe this is a throwback to being forced there a decade ago by windsurfers...)

I am a windsurfer and Nitinat is one of my favorite places on earth. It has gotten so busy in recent years that I try to limit my visits to june/September and I am surprised the kiters haven't just taken over the main campground, instead of walking their gear west down the beach to camp.

Squamish has seen the same issue as posted above. The "best" spot with the most wind is where everyone wants to go- The Spit. because it is now so busy (mostly kiters, but some die hard windsurfers) several users have chosen to head to Nexen beach (mostly windsurfers but some kiters too). you can sail from one to the other in 2-4 tacks so the on water exp is not too different. Squamish has some other issues though as it is space leased from the government for windsport activities. The access is incredibly small, even compared to Nitinat. The "windsurfing" access is about 20ft wide on the river side, and the Kite access is probably ~500ft of beach, but this is also known as the honey hole where every freaking kite comes in to show off their best trick. What a mess. I digress. I sail from nexen now, happily.

I would predict the original(Nitinat) camp road was designed so that foresters had some buffer from the wind a little off the beach, hence the loop road, but the windsports enthusiasts find this a bonus, and even camping right on the beach to be closest to the action.

If fees were modestly collected for a year or two, and reinvested to expand the available camping, this may also help spread the people further up, and possibly down the beach to ease the mess on the water.

My 2cents. I have rarely been asked to pay for camping in the last 15 years, when asked it has always been very reasonable, and I don't hesitate, especially in recent years when you get a receipt! makes me think the money is recorded and allocated to something-Nation, supplies, Victoria tax whatever...

Whew, Hope to be at Nitinat for a weekend in July this year, and possibly a day in August. Love it there, lets work together so everyone can enjoy it.

Craig.
winddude

Post by winddude »

What about an access point or maybe small camp spot on the other side of the river?

I think I saw a lone windsurfer up there a few weeks ago, not sure if he drove, or sailed up.

Two spots would help alleviate some of the congestion on the water during the weekends for everyone.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
skipro

Post by skipro »

I think (with no exp in road construction) the cheaper fix is to extend the existing loop by adding another to the west. Extend along the beach towards the river, and loop back to meet the main loop you would save the cost in creation of a new road from the fsr to the beach west of the river.

Although based on the google map image below, there is an fsr that comes down quite close to the nice beach west of the river. Maybe this could be a new campground.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.7979368, ... !1e3?hl=en
skipro

Post by skipro »

google maps shows a road come down quite close to the beach on the west side of the river....interesting. Sheltered beach. only 10 more min on the logging rd...
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

From what I've heard you need a 4x4 to get in there (but I could be wrong)
CTK

Post by CTK »

I am applaud at some of the comments on this topic. I believe that the fee's are within reason. Just a clear sign so there is no confusion.

As long as there is access to water, the washrooms are kept clean, and toilet paper stocked up I have no issues with paying the fee's set out by the band.

I personally hope that they do make somewhat of a profit for there efforts and look forward to changes for the better in the future as they take complete control of whats rightfully there's.
This is a fairly remote village that does not see a lot of revenue throughout the year.

I've been going for the last few years and the fee charging was non-existent, or at random. As is the case for most all people posting on this forum. That was great but being realistic this is not the norm for any other rec. sites.

Please don't push for a Wind Society Governing body. This location is special as it is. The last thing I want is to pay a yearly or daily fee to access the water.

If you are someone that doesn't like the fee's, needs seadoo rescue, or finds the location dangerous/too busy then DON'T COME!
:D
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I don't have any opinion. I've been going for decades and it's like a box-of-chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. I go with the flow because, personally, I believe everybody is trying to do their best even if it doesn't meet my definition of 'normal'; some years I pay, some years I don't. I love the Nat and like all the people I've met there over the years. I'll just keep paying when I'm asked in the hope that things work themselves through. I'm sure it's a huge challenge for the local people and I'm glad we're leaving a little more money in their town, as isolated as it is. :D
jim mckenzie

other side of the river.

Post by jim mckenzie »

It is very nice there, I've driven in and sailed upwind to the beach. I think it's a facility for the salmon hatchery, drive a truck in and turn a valve or some such thing. I recall being told that this was a very sensitive area, that it would be best left to the fishes and wildlife in the river mouth. I've read that the hatchery is pretty important to the fisheries and locals. I could be wrong, but there might be more suitable places to subject to our occupancy. If you sail up there and poke your head into the bushes you can see that it's quite pristine (at least it was, imagining it still is).