REBUILDING THE RIVER LOOP TRAIL AT NITINAHT

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Jim

REBUILDING THE RIVER LOOP TRAIL AT NITINAHT

Post by Jim »

Please check out my post in the "Off Topic" section. a map with a draft plan is posted there. Seeing as it is hiking / biking related, I posted it there instead of here but would like to get it seen and passed around to as many people as I can.

Thanks

Jim
Jim Richardson
Victoria BC
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: REBUILDING THE RIVER LOOP TRAIL AT NITINAHT

Post by KUS »

Jim wrote:Please check out my post in the "Off Topic" section. a map with a draft plan is posted there. Seeing as it is hiking / biking related, I posted it there instead of here but would like to get it seen and passed around to as many people as I can.

Thanks

Jim
nice idea Jim, I had that one a couple of years ago (apparently not much group interest in manual labor in September.....or probably most times when people are taking their holidays) and I am willing to lend a hand with my saw.....Pretty banged up otherwise tho for lifting, shovelling etc..

If someone else tries this with a chainsaw, ensure they know what they are doing as the trees are still loaded even now in the blow down area.....some expertise on hand like Kitesurferdale would be a good plan.

I used to always ride that trail for warm-up in the mornings and had to clear it out, fought my way through, after the first blow down happenend....since then a lot more damage to the trail and trees so the work party is the only way to go....
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Jim

TRAIL REBUILDING

Post by Jim »

Mike also expressed interest in pitching in and has some tools. here is the e-mail I sent him:

Mike,
Glad to know you are interested in helping rebuild the trail. My friend John is will be up with me at that time and he has a chain saw. I have copied him on this e-mail too. I’ll keep a list of interested people and try and arrange a get together at Nitinaht. I have a light green Ford Escape, and will have a laminated map of the trail on my windshield so you can find me and tell anyone interested how to find me (in non sailing hours HAHA!).

I have a couple of thoughts about the route that I’d like your opinion on. My thinking is to keep it far enough away from the river so it won’t wash out very soon, yet try and get river views from time to time, or spur trails that connect to the river in good spots for access and or swimming.
Where do you live?

Jim
Jim Richardson
Victoria BC
winddude

Post by winddude »

What's wrong with it? Seemed to be in good shape a few weeks ago, when my gf and I walked it with the dog.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
Can't jibe

Post by Can't jibe »

We were at Nitinat Lake Campsite last week and cleared the LAKE TRAIL and the blowdown area on the RIVER LOOP. We cleared the brush with loppers and made it passable on foot. The washed out area along the river is okay but it is probably a good idea to re-route the trail further away from the eroding river bank.

A few years ago there was a "Skulls Trail" from VIC'S BEACH / LOOKOUT TRAIL - this trail went along the river almost all the way to the bridge. NOTE: Vic's Beach no longer exists!

We have put up a "sketch" of the trails on the bulletin board. It would be great if this sketch could be replaced and updated with a more accurate map.

Good luck with this project. We will continue to trim and cut trails whenever we visit.
Jim

REBUILDING THE TRAIL

Post by Jim »

Well if the trail is in that good shape we are laughing. The re-route to prevent future washouts is worthwhile, and after getting the trail easily hike-able, my goal is to make it mountain bike-able for an experienced rider (no dabs :-)). I was able to do the loop many years ago in about 16 - 18 minutes. My hunch is it will take a bit of work to get it rideable. The "skull trail" mentioned was a great ride too if you wanted a longer one. Cutting spur trails to the best swim spots is also on the agenda. The river changes so much year to year that swimming, rinsing wetsuits is a chore without good access. I'd like another rope swing too. Remember the diving board?
Jim Richardson
Victoria BC
Jim

REBUILDING TRAIL

Post by Jim »

Just in case people don't get to the Off-Topic post, here is the map / plan for the project.
Attachments
NITINAHTmapJPG.jpg
NITINAHTmapJPG.jpg (134.75 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
Jim Richardson
Victoria BC
winddude

Post by winddude »

Ohh yea, I remember the washed out area that was a little difficult.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: REBUILDING THE TRAIL

Post by KUS »

Jim wrote:I was able to do the loop many years ago in about 16 - 18 minutes.
wow, we talking the whole loop or the same loop?? I seem to recall a close to 35-40min decent workout and I didn't come off the bike often... Cutting the logs in the blow down area carefully is what will take a bit of time :idea:
Is Vic's beach over grown with alders or washed away? Hmm too bad, such a lovely spot :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....