Waves & right of way

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Waves & right of way

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

As it seems there are many more kites (10ish yesterday at JR) venturing into proper wave/surf conditions, I would ask that you familiarize yourselves with surfing etiquette and right of way(this also applies to wsurfers venturing into surf). I was SUP surfing, had position on wave, had made a few turns down the line only to find a kiter was coming upwind on the same wave (straight line, not turning/ not surfing), he did not give way and even held out an arm to ward me off! I quit going down line, as we would have collided, and bailed, he then beared off and continued heading straight in with the wave. Let me say that was only 1 out of 10 guys. Everyone else was playing by the rules, so probably this person did not really have much surf/priority experience in waves, he was a competent kiter as far as could tell.
I'm not the rules expert either but basically, you as a kiter are the more manoeuvrable craft and should (not must) give way to the less manoeuvrable (surfers, sups) when in collision / right of way situations. Priority on wave usually goes to the person already on and riding the wave. You certainly don't drop in on someone riding. If multiple persons going for a wave at same time, it's the rider closest to the critical section having priority. As a windsurfer or kiter you have ability to ride/surf backside upwind but should be giving way to those upwind of you going down the line, regardless of craft, especially when they are already on wave and surfing. Those heading out regardless of craft should avoid riders on wave if at all possible to allow them to complete rides. Thanks and happy surfing!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

You were stand up surfing at JR? I'm surprised you were allowed on the water. The last time I tried SUPing there I was one of 2 people there and I got attitude from the surfer.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Yesterday, i think due to lower, mid tide conditions, the place for waves was the river mouth, rock bar and rockpile areas, which have become more SUP & kook friendly (maybe not rockpile so much). Anything but a surfer always attracks stink eye on the point break. So the kiters and i were working the river mouth / bar for the most part.
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Ok but it's still ok if we whizz around you splashing, teasing and locking our gaze into a dreamy trance so long as we leave you your wave right?! :shock: :D :lol:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

when they go the dark side, they really go dark....
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

right of way

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

Ya there is the left there and that may have caused a "who's wave is it" scenario. What Im betting on is that they were actually waving you in bud and you misunderstood. I was there.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Waves & right of way

Post by bwd »

UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:... only to find a kiter was coming upwind on the same wave (straight line, not turning/ not surfing), he did not give way and even held out an arm to ward me off
That sure sounds like Spastic Tony. That guy is dang-er-ous.
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

spastic/unsmooth tony

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

I thought it was "not-smooth" tony lol.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: right of way

Atomic-Chomik wrote:Ya there is the left there and that may have caused a "who's wave is it" scenario. What Im betting on is that they were actually waving you in bud and you misunderstood. I was there.
Umm No, I was actually there, already on the wave surfing the right (there was no left). He came upwind straight along the wave towards me from quite a distance causing me to bail my ride or collide. I misunderstood nothing, he didnt understand waves and right of way!
CTK

right of way

Post by CTK »

Thought that SUP surfers and Kite surfers were easy going when someone makes a mistake on right of way.
Kalena

rightoway

Post by Kalena »

I'm confused. As a new SUP wave rider, what do you do when some one is waving you in on a SUP?
Do you
A: Pause and wonder to yourself if they are waving you in to ride the wave?
B: Abort mission soon as they wave to avoid possible fatality?
C: Hold your ground till they will veer off at the last second and surf victoriously?
or
D: Post your dilemma in hopes that the culprit might read it and stay off your wave the next time?
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: right of way

CTK wrote:Thought that SUP surfers and Kite surfers were easy going when someone makes a mistake on right of way.
Yep, it's all good. There was no screaming and cussing at each other. It was a non incident. I'm just appealing to all wave users to familiarize themselves with rules / etiquette so there is no 'tude'. Cheers and happy surf sailing!
windeemanic

Post by windeemanic »

I realize that what I might say here will most likely be misinterpreted. I have been a JR local for 20 years and a surfer for 30 years. In my experience, etiquette is usually stemmed from safety. The reason SUP's, kayaks, jet skis, are "stink eyed" at the point is due to the serious injuries that could occur in a collision with a surfer. This also applies to kiters vs surfers. Surfers will always have the right of way over kiters. However there are minor exceptions to these rules. This is where common sense applies. If it is obviously windy enough for kites to be ripping around, and realistically too windy to surf, it is probably dangerous for a surfer to be out amidst the kites. Same goes for the SUP who is parked just off the point in the rivermouth. Common sense would suggest that the area between the channel between the left and the right in the river, is a thorough fare for kiters. Probably not the best place to park or surf. That being said, the kiters out that day were all pretty experienced and aware of their surroundings. I don't know about you, but I personally wouldn't swim or SUP at Nitnat launch zone when there are a bunch of kites out.