Island View kite-launch field in jepardy!!!!

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Joe

Island View kite-launch field in jepardy!!!!

Post by Joe »

Just saw a new sign posted at IV. The CRD plans to fill the field with a bunch of structures. It may be too late but I think they need some input from the kiting community.

Here's what they say........

"Improvements to Island View Beach Regional Park will take place between April and mid-June. A new group picnic shelter, information kiosk and accessible pathways will be installed, and the parking area will be improved. Please use caution in work areas."

See their plans here.......

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/documents/IV ... gn_web.pdf

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/ :!:
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

New IV stuff

Post by Bobson »

:( Not so good for the kiters and now I will barely have room to rig the 11.0m....agghh!!
JL

Post by JL »

I HATE </b>progress...As coincidence would have it I just received a random survey..(1 of 4,000) of C.R.D. parks! I quess they build what/where they want & then claim they have a data base if anyone/group complains...Save paradise & put up a parking lot..... :roll: I think kite launching/landing will still be possible & the gazebos will make great observation posts. You can bet that parking meters are on the way!
Last edited by JL on Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thermals are good.

Post by Guest »

I Hate them, why don't they pick on someone elses beach.
IV is/was my favorite south Is sailing spot, probably because its so close to the house.
Were the wind people even considered?
Don't they know we own that beach?
Where will newbies go, when they can't go to nitnat.
So many memories...
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

That was me.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Don't worry Windependant there will be more good memories, just other kind. They will be made by those happy barbecue people who will have more convenience stuffing their faces, while sitting on their asses, with a huge shelter above their chewing heads. Epic time spending!
Cancer must die!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I called CRD(478-3344) and voiced my concerns(as a kiter) about launching during the winter(no beach). They took down my name and tel. and will file a report. I would suggest that we all do this. The building will be done in 2 phases. The 1sdt phase will include the paths and group shelter. The group shelter is being built behind the trees so that it doesn't impact the views of the houses overlooking IV. That leaves the far end of the field for launching.

The 2nd phase would include a 2nd shelter close to the parking lot, about two-thirds of the way down(from the toilet side). This would also probably have no impact on our launching path. However, a few meters one way or the other could impact the launching path, so this is the one we should be concerned about.

So, phone the tel. listed above and tell them your concerns so that they can take them into consideration before going ahead with phase 2.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

Russian Guy wrote:Don't worry Windependant there will be more good memories, just other kind. They will be made by those happy barbecue people who will have more convenience stuffing their faces, with a huge shelter above their chewing heads.
:wink:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Parking meters? I'd like to see that :x ....maybe I need to renew by blasting ticket afterall, a wee det cord ....works great....ah :?

:shock: just kidding you CIA/ CSIS freaks :!: :!: I know you are listening :evil:

:wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Paranoia

Post by Bobson »

Hey Mr. Paranoid.....THEY are ALWAYS listening, that's why they ARE who they ARE....HA!! Those Bastards can't catch me...I'm the gingerbread man!! :D
keepourparksfree

Post by keepourparksfree »

I do believe 5 min epoxy works very well on all parking meters. Bwwaaa haaa haa haaaa

Re: Island View kite-launch field in jepardy!!!!

Post by Guest »

Joe wrote:Just saw a new sign posted at IV. The CRD plans to fill the field with a bunch of structures. It may be too late but I think they need some input from the kiting community.

Here's what they say........

"Improvements to Island View Beach Regional Park will take place between April and mid-June. A new group picnic shelter, information kiosk and accessible pathways will be installed, and the parking area will be improved. Please use caution in work areas."

See their plans here.......

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/documents/IV ... gn_web.pdf

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/ :!:
It would be nice if the local stores and Ocean Rodeo get involved.

Post by guest »

Kiters should be launching on the water side of the logs anyways. It`s only a matter of time till someone gets hurt crossing over the logs or sliding in the grass and hitting something (Ithink that`s already been done)
perky38

Post by perky38 »

If Building structures are built at IV, this will eliminate one of the safest and closest kite launching sites to Victoria......... IMO. Launching on the beach there is not much better than launching a kite on the grassy area, as there are people people picnicing on that part of the beach as its close to the parking lot. Also building structures on the grass may increase the human traffic in the area too. I guess its all about Van Isle getting to small and too many peoples...

Post by Guest »

Or perhaps, too many kites.