Search found 250 matches

by SmallWaveSteve
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:09 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Helmet + Wetsuit Hood
Replies: 23
Views: 4639

I won't be not wearing a helmet after this incident in the middle of the summer: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/395995_847229698956_2142920813_n.jpg I was wearing a lid, and the board hit just below it, but it could have just as easily been an inch higher and hit on the helme...
by SmallWaveSteve
Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:31 pm

What helmet do you wear?
It could just be that I have too fat a head and need to look for something bigger :p
by SmallWaveSteve
Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Helmet + Wetsuit Hood

I was curious what you guys do for head wear in the cold months? I have a hooded 5/4/3 wetsuit, and am trying to find a helmet that fits over the hood (i get hardcore neck chafe with the hood down) I have a 60cm melon, so the thickness of the neoprene appears to put me over the XL limits for most of...
by SmallWaveSteve
Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:08 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Twin Tip vs. Surfboard
Replies: 15
Views: 4906

I'm still a noob, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but between my big twin tip (148 Cabrinha Prodigy), surfboard (homemade 5'0 quad), and a 57" wakesurf/skim style, the wakesurf is by far the easiest to point way upwind (the catch being you need to learn how to transition strapless/dire...
by SmallWaveSteve
Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:49 pm
Topic: COLUMBIA WEB CAM. Etc ?
Replies: 45
Views: 9478

Hoorah! Thanks Dave! I was going to mention when I saw you at the mailbox, if you need a hand with relocating or working on the stuff at IV feel free to give me a shout, I'd be more than happy to help
by SmallWaveSteve
Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 pm
Topic: Nitinat Jellyfish
Replies: 8
Views: 2594

I was wondering the same thing about those badboys. I almost face planted on a pizza sized red one on the long weekend when I was trying out/figuring out how to jump (good motivation not to crash though i guess?)
by SmallWaveSteve
Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 pm
Topic: The Nitinat rules
Replies: 49
Views: 14549

I didn't see anything about tossing pebbles at peoples chests to wake them up? (and by toss I mean throw, by pebbles I mean rocks, and by chest I mean forehead)
by SmallWaveSteve
Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Old Windsurfer material?
Replies: 12
Views: 3217

Does anyone know anything about the MFC freestyle fins, or freestyle fins in genereal? (ie. more flexible to release the water easier or anything like that, or is it strictly shape?) I dont want anything too bendy, but I'll have 2 or 3 of them engaged at the same time which will spread the load (and...
by SmallWaveSteve
Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:15 pm
Topic: Noobs & Kooks Unite! (Island View?)
Replies: 43
Views: 11261

Anyone who may be interested in doing some car-assisted downwinders at Gordon's tomorrow give me a shout. We're thinking ~5-530ish The very rough plan: ditch a car down by Otter Point, get a ride to Gordo's. If you stay upwind awesome, if not, you have a couple KM downwinder! If I don't have to worr...
by SmallWaveSteve
Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:18 pm
Topic: kiteboarding accidents / safety tips
Replies: 291
Views: 149708

Re: Gordons begineer day

The board to the face was pretty hardcore I'm a pretty hardcore kind of guy I guess? [smilie=pimp.gif] One other note: I think seaspecs could be a valuable piece of safety equipment, luckily due to my catlike reflexes I was able to duck enough to not take it on the nose or in the eye-hole, otherwis...
by SmallWaveSteve
Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks! I'll look into that! I'm using the term kite-race very loosely here, the RRD K-Free 60 is kinda sorta the direction I'm planning on going. http://vimeo.com/37939744 Just found windance has 25cm freestyle fins for 50 a piece, so I may bite the bullet and go for those (I had been hoping to kee...
by SmallWaveSteve
Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Yeah I've been searching around, cheapest I've found is ~$70-80 a piece (before shipping).
From the research I've been doing I want something between 20-30cm.
The hunt goes on!
by SmallWaveSteve
Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:33 am
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Royal Victoria Kite Race
Replies: 57
Views: 17773

Is there a need for volunteers at all, or is that covered by the RVYC?
I'm definitely not racing but could more likely than not make it out to help out.
by SmallWaveSteve
Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Well the first build was a success! http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5807&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Next I want to tackle something that will get me out for the ultra-lightwind sessions (along with my massive 15m kite); a kite race style board, and am trying to com...
by SmallWaveSteve
Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:04 pm
Topic: Kite Specific Surfboard Build Thread / Info
Replies: 17
Views: 3939

It Works! Used it for a little bit on sat at Nitinat, was pretty easy to go upwind with, the only issue is waterstarts (keeping it on your feet prior to the power stroke). I got blow downwind quite a ways trying to get my feet lined up before powering up. Any tips? (I was thinking maybe some mini po...