Search found 30 matches

by Gord Baines
Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:38 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: used gear?
Replies: 12
Views: 3249

I'd avoid buying any gear sight-unseen. You can put a good used kit together, more or less local to you, by using the buy/sell on this site, the coastalbc classifieds, usedvictoria, etc. That way you can personally inspect what you're buying, and if you're buying from someone in the local wind commu...
by Gord Baines
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:23 pm
Topic: RV Windsurf Equipment Carrying Options
Replies: 16
Views: 2966

Experiences vary, I guess. I have had my Class C since '04 and built my rear-mount rack in '05. Go to the Gorge for about a month every year, haven't had any of the problems Markus mentioned: - The rack only makes for two extra feet, for a total of twenty six, so extra cost at the ferry is negligble...
by Gord Baines
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:22 am
Topic: RV Windsurf Equipment Carrying Options
Replies: 16
Views: 2966

I've got a custom rack that holds all my gear vertically off the back of my RV. Nothing wrong with carrying everything on the roof, but I prefer the relative ease of loading and unloading gear while standing on the ground, especially in high winds. You'll see a lot of variations of this method in th...
by Gord Baines
Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:14 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2011
Replies: 187
Views: 43865

Nanmoo, was that you wearing boardshorts and a rashie at Doug's last Sunday (Quattro quad, Hot Sails "Fire", Chinook alloy)?
by Gord Baines
Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:11 pm
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: Can we cancel the cancellation of the Pressure Slope page?
Views: 5327

Jim Steele's reply to my e-mail inquiry: The plan is still to offer this service on the national Weatheroffice site (marine section), but there will be an interruption of the service for a period of time as we transition things over. The Pressure Slope is on the list of marine priority changes for W...
by Gord Baines
Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:37 pm
Topic: Add to our Westcoast Windsport Dictionary!!
Replies: 69
Views: 21756

Flog. Short for "f-ing sailing log!" Generally muttered in anger to oneself upon reading others' sailing logs and realizing one made the wrong call. e.g.:"After twitching all morning and fearing a skunk 'n funk I opted to do chores around the house, only to later read all the flogs of...
by Gord Baines
Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:30 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: HELMETS!!!!!!
Replies: 29
Views: 7426

I really like the Gaths. I started windsufing in '03 and had a Gath hat by '05, but I never wore it more than a couple of times because of the usual excuses. In the fall of '08 Mike B. and I were out at S. Chesterman's in 3.5-4.0 conditions with big, dumping surf, pretty much survival sailing. It wa...
by Gord Baines
Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 pm
Topic: How we use the University of Washington Wind Model
Replies: 226
Views: 87525

I use BWD's tables often. It has to be stressed that the number of posts on this topic represents a small fraction of actual users. My brother-in-law is a golf course superintendent in Victoria and I know he uses BWD's forecasting tools.
by Gord Baines
Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:37 pm
Topic: Sailors wanted for Port Alberni video shoot August 18
Views: 3261

It's not looking good for wind this afternoon.
by Gord Baines
Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:57 pm
Topic: Sailors wanted for Port Alberni video shoot August 18
Views: 3261

Sailors wanted for Port Alberni video shoot August 18

Port Alberni economic development manager, Pat Deakin, is trying to find some windsurfers and kiters (who are willing to sign releases) to be in a promotional video that is going to be filmed Tuesday, August 18, in the harbour. The film crew will be in town all day, but this footage will be shot aro...
by Gord Baines
Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:43 pm
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: Classic Hatchery Action Vid
Replies: 3
Views: 1674

Yep, that's Sean. Really nice guy, and not too shabby on the water.
by Gord Baines
Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:00 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: 85L board recommendation
Replies: 10
Views: 2309

Be sure to demo a Fanatic Freewave 86 from the Gorge Surf Shop. Talk to Adam or Gary (or Scotty if he's actually in the shop). Great people to deal with. I'm the same size as you and I own the 77. I use it in all the applications you mentioned, from 3.5 to 5.7, it's a great all-around board. Powerbox.
by Gord Baines
Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:25 pm
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: Feedback Needed: EC Lighthouse Reports
Replies: 14
Views: 4131

Pressure slope always factors into my decision whether to go to Nitinat. Lennard Island always factors into my decision to go to Combers, Long Beach, or Chesterman. Wish it updated more often.
by Gord Baines
Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:50 pm
Topic: Oregon Coast June22-July3 - Kiting/Wsurfing trip ?
Replies: 5
Views: 1102

I'll be taking the Coho on June 18, returning July 3. Most likely will stick to the Gorge, camping at Toll Bridge Park. If you find yourself at the Hatch, Doug's or the Wall, look for a Slumber Queen motorhome with BC plates and a custom board rack on the back. My wife's pregnant, so it would be gre...
by Gord Baines
Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:48 pm
Topic: Is winter sailing really worth it?
Replies: 22
Views: 4593

Is winter sailing really worth it?

This is the first year i've done any winter sailing and it has definitely been worth it. The drive from Port Alberni to Columbia Beach is only 45 minutes, and it's nice to be on a paved road. The conditions on a big day can be Gorge-like, and i'd rather be on a 4.0 there in a dry suit than on a 6.0 ...