Search found 142 matches

by smartang
Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:08 am
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: What is the secret to riding unhooked?
Replies: 10
Views: 3865

Forget about riding unhooked and go somewhere you can stand in waist deep water in lighter winds. 10-15 knots. Hook the leash up to either the chicken loop itself or a non-kill line safety. Trim the kite until the back lines are just getting tight when you sheet in all the way. Pull out the dick. Bo...
by smartang
Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:47 am
Topic: Closest area to obtain IKO Kitesurfing Instructors course?
Replies: 4
Views: 2120

I was looking into this for a friend not too long ago. Do not sign up for the course in Quebec. It's taught in French in a pure francophone region, and your BC high school french class won't cut it. I'm from QC and did my IKO in the US. Lake Michigan at a beach house with hot tub, pool table and a g...
by smartang
Fri May 15, 2015 8:26 am
Topic: Kooky Question - Wavekiting
Replies: 7
Views: 2497

Depends on your riding history. If you've been snowboarding and surfing for your whole life then you will have a very dominant stance. If you have a clean board riding slate then you might just be able to teach yourself to be an ambiturner (zoolander). More useful for freestyle than surfing though. ...
by smartang
Fri May 23, 2014 10:21 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Demands of Kitesurfing and Epidemiology of Injury ...
Replies: 13
Views: 3830

All depends on how you kite. If you just want to cruise, and take your time learning safe stuff like hooked in backrolls, toeside, small to medium jumps then you can ride until you're 90. But here's a stat for you: all ...ALL of the pkra champions for the past 10 years have suffered a major injury r...
by smartang
Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:49 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: The trick to catching waves
Replies: 3
Views: 1431

Well I'm not a windsurfer, but I did surf for many years before I started kiting. Used to do a lot of things before I started kiting... Anyway, one of the main things to think about when it comes to riding waves is the period between the waves. A 3ft swell at 20s will often have more power behind it...
by smartang
Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 am
Topic: etiquette and consideration
Replies: 52
Views: 16442

That would be a hilarious fight. Two guys with numb hands and feet, totally exhausted from riding and wearing 6mm of rubber, impact vests, helmets and gloves. Throw in a couple of mouth guards and I think we've got a pretty safe way to solve disputes. Oh and they really have to pee. So many dangerou...
by smartang
Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:38 pm
Topic: Twin Tip vs. Surfboard
Replies: 15
Views: 5009

haidagwaiisurf, If you're side slipping on a twin tip or surfboard then your problem is not the board or fins, it could be a few adjustments, but it's most likely technique. Many of the best kiters ride finless (Hadlow, Dre). Reasons for side slipping: The board often wants to flatten out because yo...
by smartang
Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Topic: Twin Tip vs. Surfboard
Replies: 15
Views: 5009

hey haidagwaiisurf, So why do you want to go upwind so badly? All the best styles of this sport are performed downwind: waveriding, airs, wakestyle, kiteloops, downwinders... Upwind is just something we have to do to get back to our cars. Kiteracing doesn't count here since those guys don't have a c...
by smartang
Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43 pm
Topic: Ocean Rodeo Prodigy - All New 3 Strut Freeride Kite
Replies: 25
Views: 6631

It's not really fair to compare the Rise to a Switchblade. Cabrinha has significantly more R&N money from the pryde group, and the switchblade has been their flagship wakestyle kite and one of the first ever bow kites since the first days of beginner friendly kiteboarding (2006). When using the ...
by smartang
Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 pm
Topic: The Nitinat rules
Replies: 49
Views: 14770

Ghsghkht
by smartang
Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 am
Topic: The Nitinat rules
Replies: 49
Views: 14770

ghkafvjyhb
by smartang
Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:49 pm
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: MEGA LOOP
Replies: 1
Views: 1275

Yeah, the len10 challenge did not live up to all the hype. They didn't have enough wind for megaloops, so instead they did a regular to big kiteloop comp. Mega airs start at 30ft (Hadlow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7dc7DG-qb8 ), most would say more. And although it's extremely difficult to land,...
by smartang
Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:12 am
Topic: Kite tuneing guide
Replies: 3
Views: 1241

What model and year of kites and bar do you have? I modify most of my bars or make frankenstein bars all the time. But in general you can use any modern 4 line bar with any 4 line kite using pigtails to adapt for different kook proof systems. As far as bar width goes I use a 17" bar on a 10m de...
by smartang
Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:32 pm

Will anybody have one of these kites for demo/test fly at Nitinat this week? Which is probably the worst place for me to test a kite since the wind is so damn magical. Nice review MartyD. Love the term 'handle crashes,' I'll put that one right next to my 'pussy loops'. I'm sure you already know this...
by smartang
Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 am

The canopy looks like a cross between a Wainmann and Fone, which are both sick for hooked in freestyle and surf. From what I can see the prodigy has almost the exact bridle and rear attachments of the Fone, a 4 point 3 pulley system that is by far the best design for light bar pressure, stability an...