Search found 138 matches

by smartang
Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:49 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: The trick to catching waves
Replies: 3
Views: 1388

Well I'm not a windsurfer, but I did surf for many years before I started kiting. Used to do a lot of things before I started kiting... Anyway, one of the main things to think about when it comes to riding waves is the period between the waves. A 3ft swell at 20s will often have more power behind it...
by smartang
Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 am
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: etiquette and consideration
Replies: 52
Views: 15734

That would be a hilarious fight. Two guys with numb hands and feet, totally exhausted from riding and wearing 6mm of rubber, impact vests, helmets and gloves. Throw in a couple of mouth guards and I think we've got a pretty safe way to solve disputes. Oh and they really have to pee. So many dangerou...
by smartang
Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:38 pm
Topic: Twin Tip vs. Surfboard
Replies: 15
Views: 4783

haidagwaiisurf, If you're side slipping on a twin tip or surfboard then your problem is not the board or fins, it could be a few adjustments, but it's most likely technique. Many of the best kiters ride finless (Hadlow, Dre). Reasons for side slipping: The board often wants to flatten out because yo...
by smartang
Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Topic: Twin Tip vs. Surfboard
Replies: 15
Views: 4783

hey haidagwaiisurf, So why do you want to go upwind so badly? All the best styles of this sport are performed downwind: waveriding, airs, wakestyle, kiteloops, downwinders... Upwind is just something we have to do to get back to our cars. Kiteracing doesn't count here since those guys don't have a c...
by smartang
Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43 pm
Topic: Ocean Rodeo Prodigy - All New 3 Strut Freeride Kite
Replies: 25
Views: 6318

It's not really fair to compare the Rise to a Switchblade. Cabrinha has significantly more R&N money from the pryde group, and the switchblade has been their flagship wakestyle kite and one of the first ever bow kites since the first days of beginner friendly kiteboarding (2006). When using the ...
by smartang
Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: The Nitinat rules
Replies: 49
Views: 14218

Ghsghkht
by smartang
Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 am
Topic: The Nitinat rules
Views: 14218

ghkafvjyhb
by smartang
Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:49 pm
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: MEGA LOOP
Replies: 1
Views: 1237

Yeah, the len10 challenge did not live up to all the hype. They didn't have enough wind for megaloops, so instead they did a regular to big kiteloop comp. Mega airs start at 30ft (Hadlow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7dc7DG-qb8 ), most would say more. And although it's extremely difficult to land,...
by smartang
Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:12 am
Topic: Kite tuneing guide
Replies: 3
Views: 1195

What model and year of kites and bar do you have? I modify most of my bars or make frankenstein bars all the time. But in general you can use any modern 4 line bar with any 4 line kite using pigtails to adapt for different kook proof systems. As far as bar width goes I use a 17" bar on a 10m de...
by smartang
Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:32 pm

Will anybody have one of these kites for demo/test fly at Nitinat this week? Which is probably the worst place for me to test a kite since the wind is so damn magical. Nice review MartyD. Love the term 'handle crashes,' I'll put that one right next to my 'pussy loops'. I'm sure you already know this...
by smartang
Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 am

The canopy looks like a cross between a Wainmann and Fone, which are both sick for hooked in freestyle and surf. From what I can see the prodigy has almost the exact bridle and rear attachments of the Fone, a 4 point 3 pulley system that is by far the best design for light bar pressure, stability an...
by smartang
Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:51 am
Topic: Kiteloops
Replies: 11
Views: 3230

Well I can’t sleep again and I feel like talking about kiteloops. Guys under 25yrs: Sure, just boost and pull that trigger. Please, I love to watch all the slams. Personally, by age 30 I’d torn or broken every joint in my entire body, so yeah it’s kind of important to learn how to land clean. And in...
by smartang
Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 pm
Topic: Money for nothing, at Nitinaht
Views: 13375

I hope the people complaining about TP aren't the same ones rolling up in 50 thousand dollar campers stocked with another 10 thou in gear. Man, common sense and appreciation are hard to come by these days.
by smartang
Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:21 am
Topic: Preventative measures: Kite Lines and Kelp
Replies: 2
Views: 886

Preventative measures: Kite Lines and Kelp

To Arturo and all the other Newbies who always end up covered in seaweed. Here's 5 things you probably overlooked before the kitemare even happened. a) evaluate wind conditions -10 knots is not enough for the ocean) b) evaluate hazards in water and on land -leave the kite in the bag and swim a the s...
by smartang
Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:47 pm
Topic: KITE REPAIR IN VICTORIA??
Replies: 17
Views: 5085

Be careful with kitefix type repairs. Dacron tape is always handy for smaller quick fixes, and the bladder patch does work on small punctures. But there's a reason kites are stitched together and not held with drywall tape and smeared urethane. Did you know that's what the fancy kitefix method is? O...