Sharing the Water

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Sharing the Water

Post by KUS »

The kiter/windsurfer positive interaction kinda plumeted there a bit at IV today :roll: It happens I suppose, had something a bit similar at Klover one day a month ago.....We started off great but I guess a few new people maybe aren't too clued in? The majority of kiters I know I don't even have to worry about cuz I know they are clued and aware, 240, Thomas, Sam, Whats'on, Marathon, JL, Marty, there are many...I still keep tabs but am relaxed, they know where I am, I know where they are and what we are likely to do next....

Hey, everyone wants the wave, there are plenty for everyone. People also make mistakes and on occasion pull a bonehead maneuvre. I kn ow this is an old discussion but -- A few semantics some kiters may not be aware of as judging by what I experienced today:

-Pls note that windsurfers in order to get onto a plane bear off so when you cut just beneath us (by 3 feet or so, u know who you are!) you may cause a collision.....and my best guess is it ain't the windsurfer that will be worse for wear.
-WSers need to turn downwind, usually (tho some may tack, esp at CB), at the beach while riding a wave and unlike stopping/ turning on a dime with a kite so if you come up behind and pass 15' below and run right into the beach (as you have shorter fins and go into inch deep water) you leave a planing windsurfer no place to go but into you. Again I would suggest that the kiter will be worse for wear and after I have delayed and eventually run out of real estate I WILL gybe downwind
-Wave shopping is bad etiquette if others are coming in behind you and you're gonna hang in the break waiting around, slogging and making short runs looking for the best one.
-When cutting below a riding WS'er when they are planing, be advised that the point of wavesailing is to cut downwind and catch one or slam off some chop.....so if you reach or point tight below when coming out of the beach there is no opportunity to carve down the wave for the WS'er or there could be a collision that may occur with little warning if you are overlooked.
-If you're gonna short tack and catch another wave, try to be quick and out of the way of the others that are timing the set from outside and r coming in....or it's the same as dropping in and you better have planned to share the wave with a buddy and if I don't know you then I will come and piss in your beer

WS'ers would all be too happy to explain at the beach if anyone asked or just watch for a bit.....I know how to kite and how kiting works. I make room accordingly, slow to let people run their waves and watch for run-ups for kiters to jump, anticipate wave turns and potential crashes and lines, keep an eye on lines when passing below and yell warnings when passing below and downwind from behind. I'd expect equal courtesy from the other watermen and women and an effort to be informed :idea:

Usually it's a pleasure, it was indeed today except for a couple of instances late there where also other WSer's were affected, thanks all for some consideration :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I had this happen all day long at Kanaha on the last two days when waves were few and far in between. I am not one to do the whole kiter vs. windsurfer thing, but it was ridiculous how many times this was happening, it was pissing me right off. I'd be heading down the line only to have a kiter pop over the crest onto my wave, or one heading out turn on a dime on the face of a wave and snake me out, twice this ended up with me opting to not monster truck over them and both times I got raked against the reef. Who knows if it was intentional or if they even noticed. I get it that you can turn faster and reverse direction quicker, but like Kus says, just a little courtesy... please? You wouldn't do this in a surf lineup and expect to walk/swim/paddle away unscathed.

Note this rant was not directed at anyone in particular, just generic venting, I'm certain I've snaked a few people too, so I am certainly no angel.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Nanmoo - if you are on the wave and riding it first (board or kite), you have the rights, and someone who drops over the lip, tight carves onto or otherwise takes it is in the wrong whether they are up wind or down wind of you. This is why at Sprecks and Hookipa people sail so far out and ride the waves in from a distance so they get priority. Let them know you're there and then go for it. Your reef bangs could have been worse (like you could have shredded your gear too and had to stop sailing!) and they have no right to endanger you, their problem. There's a great link to this thru mauiwindsurfing blog. Applies equally to wsf-wsf and kiter-kiter, in fact I saw way more kiter-kiter etiquette problems at Columbia a couple weeks ago than other issues.
We windsurf - life must be good!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

That is how I understood it too Geoffy. Normally this has never been a problem, but I think because the two days were exceptionally flat folks were getting desperate and not neccesarily using their head. Problem is you can't do much about it while it is happening.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

the pale guy riding rental gear never has right-of -way. that's just the simple fact.
8)
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

ummmm Dave, I hit the tanning bed for a month solid before departing... jeeeezzzzz. :oops: :oops:
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Although the commonly accepted "right of way rules" on waves apply equally to surfing and windsurfing/kiting, the is a practical difference on the water.

In WS/KS when its crowded the speed of movement, transitions and the potential for infringements happen much quicker than in surfing.

If someone is a newby who repeatedly ignores the rules it is best to let them know ASAP what the story is. However, if they are bigger and local and have friends on the beach, discretion is advised.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

nanmoo wrote:ummmm Dave, I hit the tanning bed for a month solid before departing... jeeeezzzzz. :oops: :oops:
Dave's quoted rule also applies to the Orange dude on the rental gear.
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I know I know, I OD'd on Vitamin C!
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

downwind dave wrote:the pale guy riding rental gear never has right-of -way. that's just the simple fact.
8)
Take your own gear and pretend you're Norwegian -- shout -- "YAH, YAH I'll blow you if you do dat again!" :lol:
We windsurf - life must be good!
JL

Post by JL »

I.V. on a S.E.: The kiter/Windsurfer heading out is on stbd. tack & has the right of way which also includes the responsibility of maintaining a steady course ... A vessel (this includes sailing craft) being overtaking has right of way as well. The same applies in a west wind @ Cook & Gordos ... @ Nitinat the inbound sailor has the right of way (stbd. tack rule) 8)
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

JL wrote:@ Nitinat the inbound sailor has the right of way (stbd. tack rule) 8)
Unless you are playing chicken and don't know these rules... not that I ever did that... this summer... to RD...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I'm just saying.....

I will give way if you're on the wave or share it with you if I know what's going on, no matter really. But not leaving room for maneuvers, like for bearing off or to catch a wave or gybe, that is a problem.

As long as you stay ahead or behind me there's room usually for two :wink: just don't hang below me..... :shock:

Guy coming out of the shore break or heading out thru the break has right of way every time....starboard or not....there is no shorebreak at the Nat btw in case anyone's wondering :lol: but that place is an accident repeat to happen anyway, anyhow. Don't do drugs :evil: or you won't understand any of this
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.