Noobs & Kooks Unite! (Island View?)

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

there is a public access empty lot just before you get to Tugwell creek bridge right prior to the corner, turn past Tugwell in the gravel area on the right (mountain) side and double back, park alongside road. Don't pull into the empty lot space. Most kiters park in the gravel area just past tugwell, wsurfers along the road at the lot. walk thru or along the tugwell creek trail for access unless you know someone on the waterfront or thru the lot and double back 150m upwind to the kite launch at lower tide. Powerlines and trees are a greater hazard for kites at the empty lot. :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

One way is to walk down Tugwell Creek. Waist high water in summer, but I found last week it is currently deeper than that (note to self: ensure kite exhaust valve is closed and/or at top of your kite bag). Next time I'll paddle my SUP instead. :-)

Other way is to use windsurf launch point, then walk along beach west. At high tide it's about chest deep in front of the breakwall rocks.
CTK

Post by CTK »

1.)Park just past bridge(a nice pull over area)
2.) Put on wetsuit at car.
3.)Get in river and walk under bridge to rigging/launch point.
:)
Peter Dee

Post by Peter Dee »

Thanks All,

After driving through the area 3 or 4 times I decided to get to the beach from easy access 1km east from the creek. I was looking for land access.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

1 km...you mean all the way down gordon's beach, east of the swamp? That's way farther than you need to go. There's a public access about 100m to the east of Tugwell Creek.

But OTOH, parking 1km down at Gordon's will save you the walk of shame after an unintentional newbie downwinder.....then maybe you can give me a ride back too. :oops:
Peter Dee

Post by Peter Dee »

I know I was much further .. just by road junction .. if there will be a wind I may try again and find the right spot. There were no kiters at the moment and I had no indication points :)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

holy crap :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!

Peter Dee

Post by Peter Dee »

LOL ... :) :0
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
Peter Dee

Post by Peter Dee »

Elo ..

.. I've been to Gordons again and finally found access to the beach .. lol .. KUS u were right 'holly crap' :) I missed it by 1.5 km first time :) ..

.. sad part of the story is that I thought that the wind is stronger that yesterday (I was checking the actual condition every 15min until i got there and was showing 13-14kn + gusts to 17) and after set up of the kite and getting in to wetsuit I was barely able to keep my 11m up in the air :( !!

.. that was a determination after 4 months of snowkiting in the Rockies .. a need of getting to the water ..

.. I should be back in May for 'longer' weekend .. i don't think tomorrow will be any better wind ..

.. thanks again for all the tips .. appreciate all of them .. u have great spots here .. !!

Regards !!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Peter Dee wrote:Elo ..
.. I've been to Gordons again and finally found access to the beach .. lol .. KUS u were right 'holly crap' :) I missed it by 1.5 km first time :) ..

i don't think tomorrow will be any better wind ..
glad that worked out

and yes, it will be, 15-20 tomorrow, 17 degrees and sun :!: gotta think positive :twisted: Here's hoping :idea: usually the last forecast is the more accurate one :twisted: and it called for 15 noon onward, 20 starting at 4-7!
Wish less, sail more!!

JL

Post by JL »

& West wind 8)
Thermals are good.
Peter Dee

Post by Peter Dee »

.. it was still nice forecast for afternoon in the morning, but changed to only 5kn .. well I'm enjoying the boat show and sun in Vic ..
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

Come introduce yourself and meet local legends this FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, at the Moon Under Water BWD Brew Tour.
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewto ... 9764#29764
Peter Dee

Post by Peter Dee »

.. sounds great .. unfortunately I'm back to reality (read .. Edmonton) ..