Paypal BS/ spam

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Paypal BS/ spam

Post by KUS »

I would suggest that the item below is BS as I have NOT used Paypal. Another clue may be that these losers can't spell :roll:
============================================
Dear PayPal client,

While performing it's regular scheduled monthly billing address check our system found incompatible information which seams to be no longer the same with your current credit card information that we have on file. If you changed your billing information or if you moved from you previous address please follow up the link bellow and update your billing information: If you didn't change any of this information you still need to follow up the previous link and update your existing billing information because it means that our database regular scheduled update wasn't made correctly. Choosing to ignore this message will result in to a temporary suspension of your account within 24 hours, until you will choose to solve this unpleasant situation.

http://paypal.com/cgi-bin/id=251456/user.html

We apologies for any inconvinience this may caused you and we strongly advise you to update your information you have on file with us. Clicking [BOGUS LINK REMOVED] you will avoid any possible futuring billing problems with your account.

Best regards,
- PayPal Team.
=================
:!:
Last edited by KUS on Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Voostra

Post by Voostra »

Considering it should be www.paypal.com too...
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

... i have a PP account and have never been spamed by them

looks like someone may have created a paypal account with your email KUS?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Thats a scam...

Post by bwd »

Hey Kus I get these about once a month. I also get ones claiming to be from the Royal Bank, CIBC, Capital Savings etc, all claiming that I have to update my credit card info and to click on a link. NEVER click on a link from an email like that. You'll either get a nasty virus, or you will be giving away your password. I just ignore them, or go directly to paypal by typing it in you browser (http://paypal.com) and logging into your account to check if there are any changes needed. BTW, paypal.com and www.paypal.com are the same thing.

The email is not from paypal, it's just from some loser in another country fishing around to try and get passwords or credit card info - if they get it they could clean out your account.

If you right click inside the message then select View Source, you will most likely find that the paypal link that you are supposed to click on goes to some IP address and not to http://paypal.com. Also paypal and Royal Bank website have lots of information about this type of scam. I get emails about credit cards and banks I don't even have so they are not too smart, as you found out with the spelling,

dave
Last edited by bwd on Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

yeh

Post by KUS »

figured, I posted for anyone who's donated to the site via the new paypal button who mighta thought this was on the level 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
tam

Post by tam »

Hello,

Yes, definately spam.. When accessing online banking/paypal etc.. I always manually type in the secure link into my browser

so it should be HTTPS://www.paypal.com

Do not forget to add the S at the end of HTTP.

You can tell with any spam emails that they do no direct you to a secure server (the S at the end of HTTP).

Also, if you think it's a Paypal spam email, just forward the link to They will reply telling you whether it is a spam. I believe this also helps to track down malicious spammers (one would hope).

Good luck