Children's wetsuits

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Glenda

Children's wetsuits

Post by Glenda »

I just spent the weekend in Tofino with my 7 and 9 year old. I rented wetsuits for them (4-3-2) and had them "surfing". They loved it, I loved it (because I could go out guilt free since they were also having fun). The problem is . . . now I would really like to buy them wetsuits so I can drag them with me more often . . . but, as any of you parents know kids change sizes every year so my budget does not allow for an annual purchase of 2 new wetsuits (although I could recycle the 9 year-old's every second year). What I would like to do, if there is any interest, is set up an exchange program of sorts. That way we all make the initial wetsuit purchase only once then exchange for the next size up the following year. Any interest from other parents? Other suggestions?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

couple of things for consideration, Glenda.

Same problem here (3 kids) but wife objects to use of older wetsuits worn by others (I guess would depend on source and wear) & old neoprene gets mouldy/stinky, stiff, zippers corrode and unit shrinks so sizes will vary depending on use of suit I have found (got a lady's steamer size 10 which looks/fits like a 7).

I do agree this is a tough issue for parents. We have a bunch of suits, adult as well, that could be passed along. My kids are 6-8-10 so maybe I can look at your cast off's and buy them from you or trade for two smallish women's suits I have, one's a 4-3 steamer the other a farmer john with jacket, 3's I think. I also have a toddler 2mm surfshirt for trade/sale as well. :)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Unusually Large Robin

Post by Unusually Large Robin »

Great Ocean Adventure in Victoria (Cedar Hill X Rd) gives you credit on suits you buy there to apply to the next one. They have kids suits. I know a few people who cycle their suits through there for their kids.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Yes, i would be really interested. We have been buying 2mm shorties, but they arn't quite enough. I have a 9 and 7 year old. Currently I have a body glove shortie that is very thin, it fits a 5 year old. If anyone wnts it for free, let me know.

Gareth
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

sounds great. we have a 6 1/2 (has a suit) and a 3 1/2 - who needs one.

I would be into a trading group being formed.

Hey Kus - I need a used mens suit to replace my tattered vintage neoprene. Any candidates - I am 5'9' and 185 lbs. :wink:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, I got a black, hot pink and yellow Bare steamer, would go nicely with some dayglo shades. It used to fit me but then, things shrink eh? And ....it's not me judging by how much it takes to make me plane these days... :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....