Split Toe Booties - Ouch!

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
mortontoemike

Split Toe Booties - Ouch!

Post by mortontoemike »

I bought some split-toe booties recently < http://www.tactics.com/oneill/15mm-supe ... toe-bootie > for windsurfing. Trouble is, I never really thought about it much but my toe next to the big toe (does it have a name? Let's call it Marley) is longer than my big toe (see the right foot diagram below - Figure 1)! As a result during the last three days on the water, Marley got jamed and now it hurts like hell. This was never a problem with non-split toe booties, I guess because Marley could slide over next to big toe to relieve the pressure.

Thought I'd let you know just in case you are in the market for some booties and you are having a look at split toe's. If you have "normal" feet want a new pair of size 9 split toe booties,for a bottle of Shiraz they are yours!

------------------------- <--- Big Toe
--------------------------- <--- Marley
------------------------
-------------------
------------

Figure 1 - Foot Pattern
I wish my TOW was longer!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

you were warned about the split toe! :) sort of. i think split toes +windsurfing is a bad combo all around.
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1575

if they are warm weather booties (ie not for warmth) you might cut a hole for marley to poke out :? . or jus go commando..! :twisted:
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I shoulda paid closer attention dwd. You know stuff! I thought about snipping the toe off. I'm more inclined to trade them for a bottle of wine. I'm not a big comando fan. Not for booties anyway.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Mb,

It's called a Morton's Toe and is a sign of independent thinking and aristocracy :lol: . 60% of people have them ...
Signature Block.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Thanks JL and Mattdog. I thought I was a freak of nature. According to http://www.triggerpointbook.com/mortons.htm this condition is also called Classic Greek Foot, hyperpronation of the foot, or pes valgus. They claim that only 25% of the population suffer from it so it is considered a "disorder". I find it odd that it took 54 years to discover that I have a foot disorder.:evil: Hereafter I shall be known as MT Mike. Has a nice hip-hop ring to it. The new booties are still up for grabs for a mere bottle of wine for the remaining (normal) 75% of the population (size 9).
asscrack

split toes not camel toes

Post by asscrack »

Hey Mike,I would like to check them out.Bring them to the beach,going to be windy today,west 20 or so.Cheers. :roll:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

THANK'S DAVE. It's like being born again!

- mortontoemike (the windsurfer formerly known as mb) .. :D :D :D :D
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Hey Morty, you're in good company, I have them as well. They're slightly buckled up from years of wearing shoes for normal feet ...
Signature Block.
JL

Post by JL »

Me too !!! Over 20 years of windsurfing I've learned to keep that nail short to avoid a blue toe. Kiting doesn't seem to abuse it near as much.
Thermals are good.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I bought a very nice pair of Round Toe booties today. My "Morton Toe" is very happy with them. :lol: :lol:

HOWEVER. I am in the market for an new flotation / impact / cool waterski guy / whatever vest! I tried on a half dozen of them (that felt like they were filled with Jello not floaty foam) in the store and none fit me. XXL is too tight!! Jebus! I am only 205 lbs! How is it that I need an XXXL flotation vest?? :evil: :evil: :evil: And don't tell me I have Morton's stomach!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

XXL??, nah, the XL's fit me just fine dood and we're about similar ht/size I'd say
Check http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1335
SeaO2 is it, can't wait to order mine, they won't import them cuz they are not certified here yet. Hybrid is cool! 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Ahhh. Thanks KUS. This is the one I was trying on. http://www.perfski.com/showitem.cfm?cat ... emnum=1619
Even the XXL seemed really tight when I tried to zip it up.
I noticed that in the thread at: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1335 , Martin said "Fits like a glove, thought it was too tight at first but after a few sessions found it to be just right.". Maybe I just need to give it a few sessions. Sure looks nice.
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

When I bought my PFD.
The lady who helped me, told me it's suppose to fit tight.
Because if your underwater and it's loose at all it could slip off,
especially if your unconscious.