The Windsurfing Movie II - Victoria Premiere

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
nanmoo

The Windsurfing Movie II - Victoria Premiere

Post by nanmoo »

Just gauging interest here... I've been in touch with the WMII boys to see if they are interested in supporting a premiere up here and they are. I am willing to help put it together but I want to get an idea of whether people are interested, when and what day of the week would be ideal.

At the moment I am thinking a Thursday night in September would be ideal. Probably hold it at one of the pub's in town - maybe in Cook st. Village?

Let me know if you are interested, and better yet, if you'd like to help. We could certainly organize it as a fundraiser for some cause or?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

sounds fun! :twisted:
Vik

Post by Vik »

I'm happy to attend. I'll help out as well, but I'm not interested in working for a fund raiser. Weekday sounds fine.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

ditto and I will donate but not fundraise.

Sounds good, alternative idea: how about an outdoor venue with a projector near a sailing beach? :idea: got power in the rig and u could project it against the side of it or a structure at Klover or IV or Willows (power available at there too) ?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

KUS wrote:alternative idea: how about an outdoor venue with a projector near a sailing beach?
I thought about this, and MF4 also had msg'd me about it.

WWW folks? What do you think? You guys have the warmest venue with winds most likely to go off. Will it still be blowing there in September?
Windsurfing Parksville

Windsurfing Movie

Post by Windsurfing Parksville »

I like the idea of the outdoor venue.

Dust of the old longboards go for group sail come back in BBQ, Kick back and watch the movie.

If you want you could make it a Vancouver Island Premier. I can host it at my location in Parksville. I can put ten long boards on the water including the tandem.

I am sure I can rig some kind viewing area on my property and if not we can show it at the Rod And Gun Pub just up the street from me. After the movie hang around and check out the band. (do some dancing ?)

Regardless where ever it is we will attend.

Also keep us in mind for our Sail it Forward Program. We will gladly accept any and all old gear especially big short boards and longboards.
Lessons Daily From Parksville Beach Resort.

Windsurfing, SUP, And Kayak Rentals

Life's the Beach and the Wind is Free

Cheers,

Kevin 250-951-9873 250-927-2870
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Where is your property Kevin? Right in downtown parksville?

I guess what I mean by Victoria premiere is Vancouver Island premiere - most of the windsurfers are from Nanaimo-Victoria with the odd (literally!) duncanite, comox vallyer or albernite.

Nanaimo is more central, but I have a feeling there are more of us down here in Victoria. If it was held on a weekend at a sailing site - then a location up island would work well.
Windsurfing Parksville

Windsurfing Parksville is located at the Parksville Beach Resort. http://www.parksvillebeachmotel.com/

Right on the main beach downtown Parksville. ( 20 minutes from Nanaimo you can do the math from Vic, Millbay, and Duncan. Courtney and Port Alberni 35 min away.

Also on location is beach Volleyball, horse shoe pit and tennis courts and a big field for flag football.

The Rod and Gun is right up the street. ( 3 blocks) http://www.rodandgun.ca/

FYI

Cheers,

Sandy Beach

mid-island fun

Post by Sandy Beach »

Good thinking, guys! Maybe, it could be like a travelling roadshow movie and play it at a few different venues on separate evenings. I like the idea of beach volleyball in Parksville, Kevin. Sounds like a tropical get-away. Next time you come back for a session in Port Alberni, we could work out the logistics and pick a September date.

We are planning to paint one of the huge concrete walls (by the parking lot area at WWW) a white projection screen to show outdoor videos and movies in the near future.

Nanmoo, I think a lot of the people posting on BWD are from Victoria, but we are finding that there are many, many wind enthusiasts all over our beautiful island north of the Malahat, and it would be great to get some of the south island crew to venture up to experience mid-island culture for a weekend in September.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Fair enough Sandy.

The thing everyone needs to remember is there is a cost to do a public screening (payable to the WSII makers), so to make the event pay for itself, if there is no other revenue coming in, I need at least 30 people paying $10 each. If we think this is feasible at multiple locations then I am all for setting that up as well.

Perhaps at Port Alberni Pub... sail and then stumble up to the pub?

I am very familiar with the Rod and Gun, but I am not certain there are enough people in the area to make it work, because unlike Port Alberni, Victoria-ites and duncan-ites don't have a sailing reason to go there.

Victoria Pub or PA and WWW seems like best bets...

Keep the input coming.
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

I would definitaly have a few bucks for the cause, especially if there is the opportunity to spend a few more bucks on beer during the movie. I wouldn't be able to do PA or Parksville unless it was a weekend though...
+1
Windsurfing Parksville

Sailing off the public beach in Parksville is not short board paradise. In fact the opposite it is longboard paradise and teaching perfect. If we want to shortboard; Port Alberni off of WWW or China Creek is the best bet.

Cheers,

Jfish

Post by Jfish »

I would be interested in attending. I could make Victoria or Parksville (preference would be Parksville on a weekend just in case Columbia is going)
eastside

Post by eastside »

I can't see it being a problem getting 10 people out for it in Parksville. More central than Port Alberni. I can tell Island Longboards ( one of the advertisers on the site) and they might advertise it. It would be a fun night.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Need 30 people to make it pay for itself (not withstanding other streams of income).

Next week I am going to firm something up, the Victoria show is a no brainer, just working out some kinks to see if an up-island one will work too.