Fines for SUPing with no life jacket?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
ToesideT

Post by ToesideT »

We have to carry Small Vessel Regulation Lifejackets on board our rescue craft. ...according to TC. This is over and above that our own policy which is that we always have to WEAR a PFD, floater suit or dry suit/ PFD combo on... with an equipment vest that has an inflatable PFD built in on top.
T
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

It is going to be pretty hard to say we didn't know about the rules if we all keep talking about this. : )

Get a leash and go and paddle in the 100's of places that you won't run into someone that can give a fine. Geesh!
Give'R
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

I plan to take up SUP'ing on my 70th birthday, along with curling and lawn bowling. Maybe the PFD rules will be relaxed by then.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

rocdoc wrote:I plan to take up SUP'ing on my 70th birthday, along with curling and lawn bowling.
Thought you already had, Rocdoc. Oh, no, that was kiting :!: :wink:
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Ya your right. Thought I'd better learn to kite in my 62 year before I got too old to learn the sport. And I do wear a PFD when kiting. Cause it lets everybody know I'm a kook and to stay at least 25 metres away.

PFD also came in handy (kept me from drowning) keeping my head above the water when I was being dragged for 2 minutes between the kite and the dumb board leash. Also recently saw a young lady almost knock herself out when she fell hard and hit here jaw on a SUP. Shit happens when you aren't prepared or worse don't expect it.
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

as for the bike helmut law, i glad there is one otherwise i probably wouldn't have bothered with one, and after my bike accident where my melon was used to break my fall, i'm quite thankful. As for sup/windsurfers/sailboards the only law that would protect anyone is around having adequate protection from the cold water. Don't see how you would enforce it though.
like a duck to water