Kite tuneing guide

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
abetanzo

Kite tuneing guide

Post by abetanzo »

I haven't had a chance to tune my kite & rig with an instructor yet, but thought I could make an effort to try out a different bar connection point other than the rear wing adjustments.

Any guidelines to follow or tips?

Also, I only have one set of bar and lines and two different kites. So probably need to adjust accordingly eh?!?

Any advice on kite tune? Greatly appreciated.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I'm a kite kook, so I don't know much. But the two things I know:

1) both kites of mine has a "faster turn" and "slower turn" setting for rear lines. That's intuitive.

2) both kites are made to fly with all 4 lines equal length at full power. I was told to check the line length once in a while, especially with new lines, as the front lines will stretch.

Beyond that, let's see what the pros say.
GregK

Post by GregK »

Consult the owner's manual that came with your kite - Didn't get a manual - try the manufacturer's website ... may have it for downloading there ....
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
smartang

Post by smartang »

What model and year of kites and bar do you have?

I modify most of my bars or make frankenstein bars all the time. But in general you can use any modern 4 line bar with any 4 line kite using pigtails to adapt for different kook proof systems. As far as bar width goes I use a 17" bar on a 10m delta kite for freeride, and a 20" bar on a 7m c-kite for loops. So it all depends on your style and what your goals are.

If you have a double depower, below the bar trim such as Naish, Slingshot, Liquid Force or Ocean Rodeo then I would just set the back lines on the tightest knot and trim out the difference. You'll learn to feel just the right amount of back line tension for every different wind condition or change in riding style. So get used to trimming all the time.

****Always test fly your new rigs in light wind.