Trim Line Replacement

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
abetanzo

Trim Line Replacement

Post by abetanzo »

Just wanted to mention that before the big blow last Wednesday I replaced my OR Freestyle trim line due to wear and can't belive the difference!
If you have any wear on the line start thinking about it as it makes a huge difference. Pasta mentioned someone had a trim line blow up out at Gordon's recently too which tipped me off to get a new one.
It adjusts much easier, cleats better, feels nice on the thumbs / fingers while sheeting in and out and gives you peace of mind!
dangerdane

Trim Line

Post by dangerdane »

I just put in a new Trim Line too as well as new lines. I have a new swivel waiting to be installed as well.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

The trim line slowly wears and expands so it doesn't fit through the depower trim line channels as easily as when it's new, so it's easier to pull when replaced. And if you use it till it's frayed though % 50 then you are playing with a possible blow out, as I always used to do.
curses - foiled again!
steve-0

Post by steve-0 »

Hopefully this will save some folks a few bucks. Go to west marine and buy 1/4" amsteel rope and make your own power line for about $6 vs $30-$35 from kite replacement part sellers. Same material. It'll last even longer if you wax the rope as well unless you're on a hot sandy beach where it would attract sand.
skywalker
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by skywalker »

I've done that on my current bar.

Get waxed dental floss as whipping line for the end, tie a few bowlines instead of splices and you're gold.

Be careful when you purchase the am steel though. It is cheaper than replacement from manufacturer, but is still expensive.

I notice kite racers aren't using am steel, but sheathed rope. You might not need the strength of am steel, and a sheathed rope might last longer/ wear better.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

THe cover is designed for grip and cleatability the core is for strength and desired stretchiness .

The reason that commercially available kites don't use proper rope with a cover is that it is much more difficult and time consuming to splice core and cover then to spice just core.
JL

Post by JL »

If you use a yacht braid be prepared to adjust your lines for stretch :?
Thermals are good.