Waveriding

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Greenkiteskier

Waveriding

Post by Greenkiteskier »

I'm heading out to the island this week and will spend a good portion of the next month in Nitnat. I'm wondering if there's anyplace along the west coast where I might find some waves to ride, this time of year. I've heard people mention a stretch north of Uculet but south of Tofino. Does anyone know anything about this area and it's wave riding potential?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Waveriding

Post by KUS »

Greenkiteskier wrote:stretch north of Uculet but south of Tofino.
really?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Greenkiteskier

Post by Greenkiteskier »

I'm sorry and sarcasm usually is pretty clear to me, but that's what a friend of mine told me. Is it wrong? Know anywhere else? Or were you referring to my spelling?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Greenkiteskier wrote:I'm sorry and sarcasm usually is pretty clear to me, but that's what a friend of mine told me. Is it wrong? Know anywhere else? Or were you referring to my spelling?
hmmm, your profile is pretty sparse....forgive me if you are from PEI or Newfoundland or the US perhaps? Well, there are probably very few in BC, perhaps Canadians, who DON'T know these beaches, have you looked at the maps or websites or anything on this site that refers to the two towns/area you speak of? That might answer some of those questions....it's not often windy there in the summer....and rare or wrong direction in other seasons. Yes, I know somewhere else. http://bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Sailing_Guide
Read the sailing logs, welcome to BC :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!

Greenkiteskier

Post by Greenkiteskier »

Hey Kus I have looked at the sailing guide and kited Nitnat couple of years now but have only driven by a few other spots,like columbia and cook street, so I thought I'd reach out to the local legends and general community for any other intel. I'm from Alberta but may be relocating to the Island in the future. Thanks for the input.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Check for Longbeach fcast, wx links are in the wiki
Wish less, sail more!!

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

#helpkeepBCalbertafree

:wink:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Greenkiteskier

Post by Greenkiteskier »

Thanks Nanmoo, just for the record I never say that about BC'ers who move to Alberta. Or anyone else I might add.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Jeez, guys, go easy on the guests. I wish more people would ask questions (others may think are stupid). My mama told me "there is no such thing as a stupid question". Welcome Greenkiteskier! There is tons of excellent info and wisdom on this site and from the members - even (and sometimes especially) from the sarcastic ones.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

BCers who move to Alberta... Hmmm those people must be ill.

Anyways, you'll note my winky smiley. Just poking.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

tempy wrote:Jeez, guys, go easy on the guests.
I didn't think there was anything bad in my response....sounds like he's moving in so if he or she is no longer a guest they are fair game for local abuse, yes :?: :wink: (I too added a winky smile, that makes everything ok, right?)
Wish less, sail more!!

winddude

Post by winddude »

it's all fun and games until someone sensitive comes along.

On an important note, Greenkiteskier, BC law states, Kiteboarding is only permitted at cook st. BC is much more civilized then whatever is east of the rookies.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Lots of people around happy to help GKS, but you do need a bit of a thick skin in this crowd. I think initial responses assumed you were joking/trolling, as you asked something that is answerable in literally 5 seconds of googling. :? :oops: :o :twisted:

This is the best resource I've seen online for what you seek ... good luck out there, play safe.

http://www.destinationkiteboarding.com/ ... rfing.html
Greenkiteskier

Post by Greenkiteskier »

Thanks everyone, I took nothing as other than ragging on the new guy, which I expect being a guy. So Winddude I guess I'm breaking BC law kiting at Nitnat Good way to start living somewhere new,break a law….Gary
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Greenkiteskier wrote:Thanks everyone, I took nothing as other than ragging on the new guy, which I expect being a guy. So Winddude I guess I'm breaking BC law kiting at Nitnat Good way to start living somewhere new,break a law….Gary
Don't worry, you can actually earn an exemption from that law by dropping in on winddude when he's riding a heavy wave. It's on the books, honest :wink: