2005 Nitinat Campsite Info

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
bwd
Developer
Developer

2005 Nitinat Campsite Info

Post by bwd »

Here is the latest information on the campground at Nitinat from Fred Sieber, Manager, Natural Resource Office (and Campsite Manager), Ditidaht First Nation:

"The campsite will be operational by May 1st, privies have been pumped out. Building 5-new picnic tables and repairing damaged ones as well as fixing damaged privies, I have a bobcat down there all this week cleaning up winter flood debris."

The new campsite fees, as set by the Ministry of Forests, are now $10.00/party/day, collected from May 1 to October 20. More details can be found here (Nitinat Lake fees PDF file).
dave
Last edited by bwd on Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
globe

Post by globe »

10 bucks a night???... damnn looks like I'm eating KD from now on, no more hotdogs for me... ( hmm... if I really conserve my KD I might even be able to make it last a few days ) :D
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the toilets are pumped out a few more times during the season and don't reach the same state as last season.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
TURTLE

Nitnat camp Info

Post by TURTLE »

Thanks for the info Dave

$10 per party. $5 per party with senior. I am assuming that means per vehicle. When does one become a senior? Retired counts I assume.

Hey Barber, I'd be more than happy to split the $5 in a camper or motorhome.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

just one more reason to go to the Gorge :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

yeh, goto the gorge spend $$$ dough on fuel, cross border lines, spend many more hours travelling, and get gusty wind, whoooo hooo
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

yep, there's that

but I figure I'll just stay longer and unwind....drink lower tax beer, buy cool gear, think about you here .........sailing the huge 7.0 kind :lol: I guess I'm still pissed about missing the old society days and this forestry/contractor tax. I think it's called progress.... :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!

mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

For a while we were being charged $10 just to put a board in the water at the Squamish spit. I know that a rescue service was also provided and the $10 paid for site maintenance as well but it seems to me that $10 is pretty cheap for a days entertainment on the lake and also for the privilage of spending time in of of the most beautiful rainforest environments known to man (or woman for that matter). I pay $60 for a day on the mountain at Whistler. Compared to that the $10 is peanuts!
TURTLE

Summer at Nitnat

Post by TURTLE »

Cheap or poor, is that the question?

or is it a disappearing way of life...

On another note...

Forestry campsites are $15/day I believe but there is a cut rate for a season's pass. I am wondering if the Didadat nation is interested in the season's pass idea for some summer campers. Like $50 for a year.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well MB, I was enjoying paradise at the lake with no outhouses overflowing, pitching in a bit of volunteer effort with cleaner conditions, no glass in firepits or bricks laying about. If ya got a picnic table you got lucky, was kinda like roulette. sites were not overflowing into one another but were overgrown a bit, recovering after every summer.

All I see now is deterioration and of course heavier use....it's sad and it's not all to do with the contractor thing but after enduring the guy with the stereo driving through at 3 am and picking up glass and garbage everyday there and packing others garbage out, balls hanging in sewage when using the outhouse, one gets a bit bitter getting charged money. Whistler loses money every day when they whisk you up the mountain on their multimillon dollar chairs, groom runs with mega bucks machinery and fuel and provide food, lodging, safety services, info services, lessons, etc. They make their coin on accom, sales and real estate. Gee, don't realllllllly think its comparable dood!!

Perhaps let's not go there, I'm getting all hot and bothered. See ya when the wind blows, waiting for the tax on that... :roll:
Last edited by KUS on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

Post by Guest »

KUS wrote:just one more reason to go to the Gorge :roll:
or gordo's :wink:
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

You're probably right KUS. I got low standards. It would be nice to have the place upgraded a little and a few more proper campsites put in so you don't have to camp in a mudhole.

Actually, one of the things I really like about Nitinat is the people who go there, well at least some of them. Nice folk who aren't in a rush .... except when the windline comes down the lake .... can't blame em for that though.

I'm on the island this weekend. Speaking of Nitinat, how does it look for tomorrow?
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Nitinat on Sunday...

Post by Bobson »

Hey Mike, I was up yesterday(Friday) and it was good in the AM(15-20) but then clouds and rain and it shut down. I wouldn't count on it blowing on Sunday unless it clears up alot. The 1km image and Port Alberni web cam are pretty good indicators...if the 1km is clear and the webcam shows little or no clouds it will blow.

Maybe Jimmy can give a Nitinat update in his forcast info while we wait for Randy to come back if he's going to do his Nitinat forcast page again.

Hope you'll make it to a few races with us on the weekends this summer at the lake!!! :D
windsurf247

Nitinat fees

Post by windsurf247 »

Hey Kus: buy yourself a blowup doll, put a grey wig on it, put it in your front seat and tell em it's yer granny. Only $5 bucks that way. We better not see the van rockin' at night though :shock:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

:lol: I LIKE IT!!! Nice idea Rob, two birds with one doll... 8)
Wish less, sail more!!