Search found 250 matches

by SmallWaveSteve
Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 am
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: Cool camping equipment
Replies: 1
Views: 1164

My parental unit ordered me a Biolite for x-mas!
by SmallWaveSteve
Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: 2013 Vancouver Island Kite Race Schedule / News
Replies: 2
Views: 1330

smallwavesteve likes these posts!
I'll be down for racing or volunteering (depending on how much TOW I get in before hand)
by SmallWaveSteve
Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:01 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Anyone have an RRD K-Free or Airush Sector 54 (or similar)?
Replies: 0
Views: 484

Anyone have an RRD K-Free or Airush Sector 54 (or similar)?

There's some beer in if for you if you have a free-race style board I can briefly lay my eyeballs on. (Just want to take a boo at the rails/foil/fin placement and make sure I'm not too far off base with my plans for a project). I'm in the planning stage of the next board I'm shaping, and have most o...
by SmallWaveSteve
Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 pm
Topic: Kiting lessons
Replies: 30
Views: 8238

For beginner(ish) friendly spots on the island as far as I'm aware: IV & SP (see previous posts above) Gordons - Sort of, I'd only say if you plan on doing a downwinder to the beach the end of Otter Point Rd, I know the currents can get going pretty good out there too. I'm not 100% sold on it (c...
by SmallWaveSteve
Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:54 pm
Topic: Kiting lessons
Replies: 30
Views: 8238

^As someone who's just got their first real season under their belt I'll second what OTLunch has to say. The current can haul past IV pretty quickly, and on the days when the shore break is more manageable at IV (lighter winds), the winds seem to be flukey (I've only made a couple big kite attempts ...
by SmallWaveSteve
Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 pm
Topic: Kite App Idea
Replies: 3
Views: 1158

Not sure if this a legit thread, or shameless advertising, but an app that essentially does all that already exists (kitetracker)
by SmallWaveSteve
Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 pm
Topic: Crossing Straits / downwinders
Replies: 44
Views: 13113

abetanzo wrote: hats off to the guys but I totally would have sailed back!
Would probably feel good to even things out a bit anyways! (I suspect one of the biggest challenges is pinching in one direction for so long, like a long traverse on a snowboard)
by SmallWaveSteve
Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:54 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: $200 "I can't surf worth crap even with a lesson."
Replies: 6
Views: 1617

I hope you did that paint job too Steve, 'cause that's a statement right there. Haha, sure did! The patchwork looked shitty (used cheap resin) and I had spent a hot day in the sun, huffing fumes (was doing a bunch of glass jobs) and drinking beer, seemed like a good idea at the time http://www.revs...
by SmallWaveSteve
Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:34 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: $200 "I can't surf worth crap even with a lesson."
Replies: 6
Views: 1617

Re: $200 "I can't surf worth crap even with a lesson.&a

$325 "with tether" and a paintjob that says keanue reeves is your surfing inspiration. http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Rusty-6-foot-four-inch-surfboard-with-tether-_18510433 "If you want the ultimate, you gotta be willing to pay the ultimate price!" - Bodhi The paint c...
by SmallWaveSteve
Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:32 pm
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: Kite/Windsurf Videos for Doldrums
Replies: 122
Views: 56346

Try launching a kite like this! Lou and his itty bitty lines (30 sec in) :
http://www.wainmanhawaii.com/
The song is Battleground by Infinity Automatic if anyone is wondering
by SmallWaveSteve
Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:46 pm
Topic: Twin Tip vs. Surfboard
Replies: 15
Views: 4906

The fuller shape of a fish makes gybing easier (from all the reading on it i've done), and their rocker profiles tend to be more similar to kiteboards than a typical shortboard is. That being said I don't know how much of a difference those factors will make with a kite hauling you vs paddling :p If...
by SmallWaveSteve
Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:45 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Brew Tour - Friday, April 27th - Moon Under Water Brewpub
Replies: 16
Views: 5486

If I'm still here I will be there! Last one was fun :D MoonUW has good beer, used to be good food, its gone downhill in my opinion. Might vary depending on who's in the back I guess. Old thread, I know. Just thought I'd respond to this post up/let you guys know that as of this fall The Moon Under W...
by SmallWaveSteve
Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:32 pm
Topic: Go Pro HD!!!!
Replies: 53
Views: 16527

if you're doing a kite mount (strapping it to the strut) I don't really see how that would be an issue (you'd have to destroy your kite for it to hit something hard enough to break). (I just picked up a Kodak zx5 to play with for a kite mount for 1/4 of the price of a gopro) That being said, for now...
by SmallWaveSteve
Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:32 pm
Topic: Go Pro HD!!!!
Replies: 53
Views: 16527

Here's a promo video shot with it. Impressive little camera!
Hopefully the price drops a fair bit on the Hero 2 now!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U[/youtube]
by SmallWaveSteve
Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:41 am
Topic: etiquette and consideration
Replies: 52
Views: 16169

KUS wrote:...
I see Agro developing, it's too bad. Social intervention is required where people can clear the air...
Agreed
Maybe its just me, but some of the points in here are starting to sound quite a bit like the territorial "locals" out at JR/Sombrio in the surf?